Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Hair Story

Most people don't give a second thought to their hair. However, for me, I started losing mine when I was in my early 20's. I was in college and my hair was really important to me. I made sure that it was always nice. The hairloss was about dime-sized at the crown of my head. I went to a dermatologist and he basically told me to stop getting relaxers (perms for those that don't know). I was horrified. I had been getting relaxers since I was young and I didn't know any other options for nice looking hair without a chemical straightener. I sought a second opinion from a dermatologist who specializes in African American hair. She did a biopsy of my scalp and I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia. I had never heard of this type of hair loss. Basically, there is scar tissue in my scalp from chemical burns (perms) and the hair follicle is DEAD i.e. never growing back. The doctor recommended some places around town where I could get extensions and so forth to allow my hair to rest from the chemicals. This, however, turned out to be bad. I got extensions which furthered my hair loss from the pulling on my sensitive scalp. Then, when the hair loss got to become rather extensive, I went to another salon that caters to women with hair loss and got what is called a unit. The hair was beautiful but the prices were very expensive. Eventually, it became too much of a financial burden to continue to pay them for hair that was decreasing in quality. I went back to wearing wigs. Now, there are some really nice ones out there that don't look like the wigs my grandma wore. (R.I.P. Ma) Anyway, I really wanted a lace front wig but I wasn't very knowledgeable about the subject. So, I went to You Tube. I know. I know. I didn't expect to find anything. However, what I found was an entire community of ladies (and men) who were giving tutorials on lace wig application and a number of other beauty topics. After watching a number of videos, I finally got the nerve to buy a lace wig and apply it myself. I am still by no means an expert but I am able to apply my wigs to the point where I'm not nervous when the wind blows hard if you know what I mean. There are also many tutorials on makeup and I'll be studying those to work on my makeup this year. But, I digress. I am so thankful for the YouTube family for helping me. So, from time to time, I may come on here raving about some new hair. Just bear with me. LOL.
Shout out to some of my favorite YouTubers: muffinismylovers (first lace wig video I ever saw. changed my life!), lovekisses99, twinkeez2003, PhillyzJamPoet, ThesPNation (Faboulous. A must see for fierce makeup tutorials and a good laugh), and 1SEXYTINA1 (amazing cooking vids). That's all for now peeps. Until next time...

Smooches and Deuces!

No comments:

Post a Comment